Arms For The Last Goodricke at Ribston Sir Harry James Goodricke
Sir Henry Goodricke 6th Bart father of Sir Harry James Goodricke
Sir Harry James Goodricke 7th Bart 7th Bart 1833
Picture about 1780
Sir Harry James Goodrick seventh Baronet, was born in N. Earl Street, Dublin, 16th September, 1797 He was baptized at the Parish Church of St. Thomas, Dublin, 23rd October, 1797 and this baptism was publicly declared and confirmed in the Chapel at Ribston Yorkshire, 30th July, 1798 in the presence of Sir Henry Goodricke his father, his mother Lady Charlotte Goodricke (*formally Fortescue of Ravensdale Park Ireland) and the Rev. Henry Goodricke, then Vicar of Hunsingore. He inherited an estate, which, at the time, was spoken of and acknowledged to be one of the finest in the northern counties. Ribston, the home of his ancestors for three hundred years, was full, too, of memories teeming with interest for the possessor of such a patrimony.
Sir Harry, however, appears to have thought lightly of these things his father's early death no doubt tending to dull the effect, that his family history and traditions would otherwise have made on his mind. He was a sportsman of note interested as many at that time with a more than ample bank balance in racing hunting and the prize ring I quote a pace taken from Norfolk and Norwich Notes and Queries June 21, 1902 as can be seen he was in good company “Norfolk patrons of pugilism - In looking over some old records of the prize ring, many well-known Norfolk names were active supporters.
was Sir Charles Brown, of Clenchwarton, who smuggled
Jack Teasdale down from
Among those who constantly drove over to Swaffham during the training of the pugilist were Sir Henry Bedingfield, of Oxburgh Hall, "in his stylish curricle"; Andrew Fountaine, from Narford Hall, "famous for its art treasures", collected by the ancestor of the present owner, who had been Chamberlain to Caroline, Queen of George IV and bosom friend of Pope; young Jephson, from Cressingham Manor House, "in his dashing tandem;" Sir Harry Goodricke of (Holyoak, Goodricke, and Co, bankers, Wolverhampton) "with his team of roans", from Clermont Lodge; Sir Richard Sutton, "in his well-known mail phaeton and greys", from Lynford-hall; Sir W Brown ffolkes, of Hillington Hall, "always mounted on his wonderful cob, whom he had christened Belcher, after the illustrious James of that ilk, and which carried 18 stone without an effort"; Edmund Elsden, "of timber-dealing fame", and jolly Jem Allsebrook, the tanner, who drove over together in the spicy yellow gig of the former.
In addition to those above-named, there were at the fight Major Case, of Testerton Hall, "with his florid face and silvery hair, the picture of a fine old English gentleman"; the Hon W R Rous, of Worstead, elder brother of the Admiral, then commanding the Rainbow frigate in the East Indies"; Lord Charles Townshend of Rainham, "the renowned cocker"; Lord Walsingham, of Merton Hall; Mr Wyrley-Birch, of Wretham Hall, "famous for his breed of setters", who drove over "in his tandem-cart, with Mr Bingham Waring, MP, beside him". From the same neighbourhood came "an immensely stout gentleman, weighing upwards of 23 stone, whose neatly dressed figure and shrewd good-humoured face were well known to everyone" - Thomas Thornhill, of Riddlesworth, owner of three Derby winners, Emilius, Sam, and Sailor.
Dereham put in Mr Lee Warner, of
Quebec House, and the Hon J G Milles, of Elmham Hall; and “Young Mr Lacon,
son of the well-known banker, of Ormesby Hall”,
Harry Goodricke`s chief pleasure
was hunting, his time, during the season, being entirely devoted to its
pursuit; and being possessed of an ample fortune he was able to indulge his
taste in this direction to the fullest extent. He funded such as the Quorn entirely. Dieing after catching sever cold otter
hunting on his estates in Ireland He died, unmarried, at Ravensdale
Park, co. Louth, 21st August 1833 leaving his entire fortune to his
acquaintance Francis Holyoake. His remains were brought over and interred in
the Goodricke vault at
Clermont Lodge and the
Not all of the Clermont estate escaped unscathed by Harry’s Will Clermont Lodge, Cressingham, Co, Norfolk was eventually sold by Holyoake I have included an account of the History of this very interesting property for the following reasons Clermont Lodge is in its self and its history a most interesting and fascinating property it came under the Goodricke influence when Henry Goodricke 6th Bart married Charlotte Fortescue doughter of James Fortescue of Ravensdale Park, Ireland on November 30, 1796. Henry having a strong sporting interest used the hunting lodge to entertain his numerous sporting acquaintances. Harry was born on September 26, 1797 and followed in his late fathers foot steps I will add more to this in a moment, other than to say that strangely enough Holyoake is buried at Little Cressingham Church of St Andrew under his assumed name by Harry’s Will and I record the following notes taken at the Church of St Andrew Lt Cressingham.
The floor slab of Sir F. Goodrick Bart, 1847, was moved from the ruins after the storm damage as can be seen by the way it is now set across the church North South and not East to West.
The arms in the East window of the South aisle are those of: -
Sir Francis Littleton Holyoake Goodricke,
a Baronet. Now greatly confused with the Goodrick family Francis Holyoke took
the additional (Goodrick) name so that he could succeed to the family fortune By the will of Sir Harry James Goodricke,
7th Bart, of Ribston Hall,
Sir Francis Littleton Holyoke Goodrick, died, in 1847, he was succeeded by his eldest son. Sir Harry Holyoake Goodricke, Bart, major 90th light Infantry; Crimean medal and clasp, Turkish medal, and Indian Mutiny medal, and two clasps born 7th May, 1836; who died in Oct. 1883. (more of this family later)
A classical wall tablet of fine white Marble on the South
wall of the Church is to Viscount Clermont Earl of Clermont, Dromisken and Ravensdale, Co.
The shield on this tablet indicates that this is the Lord Clermont branch of the Fortescue family descended from the second son. Inscription reads In this place Lieth The body of William Henry Fortescue Viscount Clermont Earl of Clermont Ireland Who departed this life on the XXIX (29th) day of September MDCCCVI (1806) in the LXXXV (85)Year of his age This monument is erected in obedience to his will by his Executor William Charles Fortescue now Viscount Clermont who was in Ireland at the time of his decease.
Clermont) of Dromisken and Ravensdale,
Arms. Azure a bend engrailed
argent cotised Or with a
crescent for difference in the sinister chief (for William Henry Fortescue 1722-1806, 1st Baron Clermont) (
Supporters. Two moor deer Proper, attired Or, gorged with a collar of trefoils Vert.
Crest. On a wreath of the colours a heraldic tiger supporting with his forepaw a plain shield Argent.
Motto, Forte scutum salus ducum.
(And now onto Clermont Lodge.)
Built in the 1770s for the Earl of Clermont as a shooting box and extended by William Pilkington for his nephew in 1812, Clermont Lodge, near the village of little Cressingham, was derelict and threatened by demolition when Mr. Philip Jones bought it in 1973 and restored it.
Trim white stucco
Regency villa is an unexpected sight in
Things had seemed very different early in the 18th century, when the local family of Knopwood was successfully building up a moderate estate in the area. Robert Knopwood farmed 120 acres, two miles south in the heart of Breckland. He died in 1723 and his son, also Robert, rose to become High Sheriff in 1751, the year before his death. He acquired land northwards, buying the Threxton estate in 1724 for £3,200, and then its neighbour, Little Cressingham. The third Robert Knopwood, who succeeded in 1752, died 20 years later leaving the estate heavily mortgaged to the tune of £8,200, principally on account of agricultural improvements. The mortgages were called in and Robert’s widow put the estate up for sale, but not without difficulty. When a neighbour considered buying Cressingham, or which the Knopwood trustees were seeking about £8,500, he was advised that there would be little return for the money needed to rebuild the farm and barns as “they are now in a sad ragged condition”.
This presented no problem for the actual purchaser, Lord
Clermont, who was mainly interested in the shooting. It was also only 25 miles
from his beloved
From then on he spent most of his time in
It is as a gamester, great shot and man of the Turf that
Clermont is most memorable and attractive. He was prepared to bet on almost
anything, as Brooks’s betting book attests. He once
shot 50 brace of woodcock in a day and also cut a prominent figure at
At Little Cressingham, Clermont regularly entertained the Prince of Wales; for his own enjoyment and for entertaining such guests, he built a shooting box, styled Clermont Lodge. Extending 88ft 9in by 33ft 6in and with ground-floor room’s 15ft 6in high, over a sunken basement, it was of tuck-pointed red brick (as became apparent in the recent restoration). Partial accounts for 1777-78 show that the roof tiles were bought second-hand from Oxburgh Hall, where Sir Richard Bedingfeld had started demolition of the hall range in 1775. The accounts followed the death in September 1777 of Robert Freegard, the builder, in the middle of the contract. Samuel Burcham, surveyor, on behalf of Freegard’s executors, measured the work done thus far and W. Hay for Lord Clermont measured further work, restarting in October. Nearly 160,000 bricks were delivered on site and 10,000 carted away, presumably from the demolished former farmhouse.
The new lodge’s basically rectangular plan was enlivened by a canted bay projecting from the two longer fronts: that on the north comparatively shallow and of full height; the opposing one on the south front deeper, but of one storey only, capped by a cornice and balustrade. With an enfilade of doors running from end to end of the house on the south side and a very deep saloon allowing only a shallow hall in the canted entrance bay this ground-floor plan was similar to that at Deepdene, in Surrey, built from l769 to 1775.
William Grove of Piccadilly designed Deepdene,
but at Clermont the subsequent employment of William Pilkington may point to
the identity of its original architect. Pilkington was a pupil and assistant
of Sir Robert Taylor, and on his death he succeeded to
many of his appointments (including surveyor to the Earl of Radnor, the Duke
of Grafton and the
There is no documentary evidence of Clermont employing
Being childless, Lord Clermont was anxious to secure the continuance of his title. In the trafficking in honours over the Irish general election of 1776, he became a Viscount and Baron with special remainder to his brother’s male heirs. The following year he was created Earl of Clermont, but with no special remainder, so that his nephew succeeded as 2nd Viscount Clermont in 1806.
It was the new viscount who called in William Pilkington to
extend and remodel the house in 1812. He added the stucco covering and replaced
the pantiles with slate. A signed “plan of the New
Addition at Clermont’, now in the Norfolk Record Office, confirms that
Pilkington added the two pavilion ends to the house. These provided a large
dining room with kitchen below and a morning room, besides extra bedrooms. The
Venetian windows (with a glazed over-arch) to the south aspect of these rooms
are a development of his master’s ideas, but here lightened by the omission of
an entablature over the sidelights. An academic touch is found in the use of
On Viscount Clermont’s death in 1829, his title became
extinct and the estate, along with the Irish estates, passed to his nephew Sir
Harry Goodricke, 7th Bart, of Ribston,
The shooting presumably attracted the duke, MP for
This was prevented by the intervention of Mrs. Charlie Mills. The house was listed and put to auction in 1973, with 20 acres. With no supporting estate, Clermont seemed doomed. The house was derelict, in part open from cellar to roof Space, and many of the fittings had been removed with the fortuitous exception of most of the chimneypieces. Despite this, Mr. Philip Jones, a painter who trained at the Slade under William Coldstream, bought it. During his restoration he later extensions were removed, returning the house to the appearance of Pilkington’s villa, although the south front still sports a hill-height canted bay. Because of rot, all the plaster and door surrounds had to be stripped out, although the original doors were salvaged and, in the dining room, Pilkington’s cornice survives. The arched openings from hall to north corridor were reduced down to door-cases to conserve heat. The one chimneypiece that was lost (in the dining room) has been replaced by a Soanian one from nearby Letton Hall.
Mr. and Mrs. Jones’s courageous restoration over the past 30 years has, for the first time in its history, rendered the house the principal residence of the family that owns it. Acting as his own decorator, and using his own paintings, notably in the drawing room, Mr. Jones has created a classic country-house interior that belies Clermont’s chequered past.
Notes taken from an article in Country Life 1993 with an Acknowledgment and thanks to Dr Antony Malcolmson and Mr & Mrs Philip Jones Edited by Michael B Goodrick 2003.
Back to Sir Harry James Goodricke 7th Bart of Ribston Hall. The following obituary notices I copied from the Gentleman's Magazine, for 1833, Vol 103, and part ll. page 368.
"Aug. 22. At Ravensdale
Park, Co. Louth, in his 36th year. Sir Harry James Goodricke,
the seventh Baronet, of Ribston Hall,
"This wealthy Nimrod was born September 26th 1797, the
only son of Sir Henry, the sixth Baronet, by Charlotte, second daughter of the
Right Hon. James Fortescue, of Ravensdale
"Sir Harry Goodricke had been known in Leicestershire for the last ten years as a leading member of the Quorn Hunt, of which he became Master on the retirement of Lord Southampton two years ago. He kept the whole of the establishment at his own expense, and resided during the winter season, in conjunction with Lords Gardiner and Rokeby, and L. Gilmore, Esq., in a spacious house at Melton Mowbray. At Thrussington, about seven miles from that town, he only in his last year completed a fine range of stabling, kennels, etc.; and his stud usually averaged between fifty and sixty of the finest horses. At the period of his death seventy-five capital hunters were in his stables, ready to commence the next season with renewed vigour and spirit. In the voluntary duties which he had assumed, Sir Harry Goodricke was exceedingly popular, and his courtesy, hospitality and attention was as fully in evidence towards the neighbouring farmers as to the opulent and tided members of the Hunt.
His life was finally sacrificed to his ardour in all the pursuits of the sportsman. He had experienced an attack of influenza, from which he had scarcely recovered, when he sailed in his yacht to visit his Irish estates. He was their superintending considerable improvement, and when indulging in his Favourite sport, otter hunting, caught a severe
cold, which proved fatal in forty-eight hours.
He had promised to
join a numerous circle of noblemen and gentlemen in the
The Goodricke Scottish hunting estate, “the Cairngorms is the feeling of wilderness and isolation, from river and glen to high corrie and mountain top the scale of landscape can be both daunting and spiritually inspiring.”
The present Mar lodge the foundation stone
of which was laid by Queen
In the Middle Ages, the estate was used as a hunting forest by the Earls of Mar, and small farming communities were established in the glens. In the late 1700s the farmers and their
families were cleared from the
land, for deer forest when Mar Lodge (above) became a sporting estate.
At this time three outlying lodges were built at
Under Sir Harry's will, dated 25th July, 1833, not only a
large personality, but the whole of the Goodricke
family estates, were bequeathed to a mere sporting acquaintance, Mr. Francis
Littleton Holyoake, who received permission, on the 12th December, 1833, to
assume the additional surname and arms of Goodricke,
and who was created a Baronet 31st March, 1835. The Louth and
Sir Harry left annuities of one thousand pounds each to his mother, Lady Charlotte Goodricke Her will may be seen in the Norfolk Records Office; George Francis Barlow, Esq., of Bryanstone Square, London; and Charles Grantham, Esq., of Ketton Cottage, co. Rutland, The clauses under which Mr. Holyoake succeeded to his estates run as follows: -
"I give and bequeath all and singular my manors
messages lands tenements hereditaments and premises
situate in the
"I give and devise all and singular my said several estates manors messages lands tenements hereditaments and premises situate in the said Counties of York and Leicester, and the said Cities of York and Westminster in that part of the United Kingdom called England and in the Counties of Meath Louth and Monaghan in that part of the United Kingdom called Ireland herein before more particularly mentioned together with all and singular the rights royalties hereditaments and apparatus to the same and every of them belonging and the rents issues and profits thereof and every part thereof (but subject as aforesaid) unto the said Francis Littleton Holyoake Esquire his heirs and assigns to and for his and their own absolute use behove and benefit for ever.
This will was proved in
Mr. Holyoake now took possession of Ribston, which he let temporarily, and in 1836 entered into negotiations with Mr. George Robins, the well-known estate agent of the day, for its sale, and in September 1836 this property was sold to Joseph Dent, Esq. Mr. Robins stated in a pamphlet which he published in 1840, that he was prohibited by Mr. Holyoake (then Sir Francis Littleton Holyoake-Goodricke) from any public announcement of the intended sale, and not even allowed to mention the name of the property, Sir Francis being desirous that the transfer should take place with as little publicity as possible. The following is a copy of the circular Mr. Robins drew up in September 1836, for distribution among capitalists.
IMPORTANT INVESTMENT IN
Mr. George Robins has been instructed to offer, by private treaty, to the attention of the monied world, one of the Most Important Landed Investments that has been in the market since the memorable time of 1825 when he had the good fortune to sell the extensive estates of the Earl of Ormonde. In this case it is only intended to give a very faint outline, as the full particulars will be reserved for those only who are disposed to embark in this most favourable opportunity to invest largely and in perfect security.
"The property is situated in the most favoured part of
"The estate surrounding it, which may be termed a little principality, extends to 4,110 acres of land, in the highest possible state of cultivation, lying entirely within a ring fence, the reduced rental from which is £5860 a year.
"It may be well to observe, and especially to those who have been led to believe that a present rental is not a Criterion always to be relied on, that the whole estate was re-let, and a considerable abatement made, so lately as Lady-day, 1835, at a time, it should be remembered, when agricultural pursuits had put on a most unfavourable and cheerless aspect. The present income is therefore one that must induce a purchaser to rely on a considerable augmentation; and if an additional argument would be needed, it will be found in the short analysis that will presently follow
Meadow and Pasture Land 1300
Plantations and Woods 144
Gardens and Pleasure Grounds 16
Total . . . 4110
Value of the mansion and grounds, manors and manorial rights. It is nearly exempt from tithe and an unusually low poor rate; there is also a valuable advowson.
"It may be well to observe here, that a deduction for land tax and other matters, will reduce the rental about £200 a year. The clear rental would be nearly £5,000 a year.
Mr. Robins will be but too happy to confer with those who are seriously disposed to purchase, and he can assure them most confidently that, as it regards the present investment, he can give them the most satisfactory information."
Ridgeway’s Baronetage of
131 Baronetage .
SIR FRANCIS LYTTLETON HOLYOAKE-GOODRICKE.
Bart. of RIBSTON HALL,
Sir Francis, by royal sign manual, dated Dec. 12, 1833, took the surname and arms of Goodricke out of respect to the memory of Sir Henry Goodricke, Bart, who left him the Goodricke estates.
Heir-Apparent—His son, Harry. — Creation—Feb. 17, 1835.
—Arms—--See plate 34. (See insert)
"out of respect for the memory of Sir Harry".
Memories of rollicking and disreputable scenes Holyoake doubtless had in abundance, but none of real respect. At all events Holyoake showed his pretended respect for Sir Harry in a curious way for, instead of taking up his residence at Ribston as might have been expected he immediately let the residence furnished and set about the disposal of it and every Goodricke acre as early as decency would permit. Ribston was eventually sold in 1836 to Mr. Joseph Dent of Appleby in
Disjointed Arms in the Stain Glass
Window at Little
Above The Published Arms Burkes General Armory Third Edition 1844 Goodricke Holyoake.
ARMS. Goodricke Holyoake Creation-31 March 1835.
Arms Quarterly: 1st and
4th, argent. on a fesse,
gules. between two lions, passant. guardant,
sable. a fleur-de-lis, argent., between two crescents,
or, a canton, gules., for difference; 2nd and 3rd, per pale, or and gules., a
buck's head, Cabossed, between two crosses-patee, in pale, all counter charged. Crests, 1st, out of a
ducal coronet, or, a demi lion, ermines, holding in
the paws a battle axe, or, and charged on the shoulder with a cross crosslet,
of the last, for difference, 2nd. on a mount, vert, an, oak, fructed, proper,
around the lower part of the stem an escroll, thereon
a cross-patee, gules, between, the Words “Sacra quereus.”*The
HOLYOAKE. GOODRICKE, SIR GEORGE EDWARD, Bart.
3 Nov. 1844s, his brother as 3rd Bart. 25 Oct. 1883.
The family HOLYOAKE has for more than two centuries possessed considerable landed property in the Co. Warwick.
John HOLYOAKE, Esq., who resided in the mansion-house of Morton Bagot, and enjoyed estates in that and the adjoining parishes, purchased in 1640, from Sir Robert Shapleigh and Jane, his wife, the manors of Morton Bagot and Nethersteed, together with the advowson and a farm, lie to. And has three sons, namely,
I, John, whose only daughter. and heiress to whom he gave an Estate in Sparnol, called (St. Giles), Elizabeth Holyoake, m. Thomas Berkeley, Esq. of Spetchley, great-grandfather of Robert Berkeley, Esq. of Spetchley.
III. William, three years a student at
The eldest son, Thomas Holyoake, Esq. of Morton Bagot, as. and had issue,
I. JOHN, mayor of Warwick in 1699, who, m. 1st, Miss
Susannah Green, and had two Daughters.
Susannah, the wife of -Hopkins, Esq. secondly. Elizabeth Hopkins, sister of his daughter husband, but having no issue by her. he granted, in 1706, to her brother, Thomas Hopkins, in fee, the reversion of the manor of Morton Bagot, with advowson and one farm. Accordingly, on the decease of Mr. Holyoake, that part of Morton Bagot devolved upon Mr. Hopkins, and remained Separated from the Holyoake possessions until restored to the family in 1778 by Francis Holyoake, Esq., who purchased It In that year.
II. William, of whom presently. III Thomas, who d.s.p.
The second son,
William Holyoake, Esq., was farther of several children, of whom the eldest.
John HOLYOAKE, Esq., devisee of his great uncles John and
William, m 29th Nov. 1720,
I, THOMAS, his heir.
II. Francis, of Tettenhall, co.
Stafford, b. 20 July 1727 m.
Esther, who m. twice, and had issue.
Mr. Holyoake d. 24 Feb. l765, aged 75, was buried at Morton Bagot, s. by his elder son,
Thomas Holyoake, Esq., of Morton Bagot, b. 17 March, l726, who m. at Warwick, 13 Aug. 1760,
FRANCIS, his heir.
Leticia, d. in her infancy.
Mr. Holyoake d. 1 Aug. 1800, and was s. by his son,
Francis Holyoke, Esq., who had, already
inherited Tettenhall, Co.
Francis Littleton created a Baronet.
Thomas, b.29 June 1800 late Capt. in the 56th regt.
George, of Neachley, co. Salop, JP and DL, b.26 Nov.
1801 m. 29 Oct. 1835, Laura-Millicent, Daughter. of Sir George Pigot, Bart. and has issue,
George-William Henry. b. 1838;
Francis-Edward, Capt. in the army, b. 1840, m. 1873,
Gertrude, Daughter. of R. Jones,
Littleton Robert b.1844 and Isabella-Eleanor, m. 1867, to Arthur Pitcher, Esq.
Henry, b.5 July 1804 Capt. in the army d.18 Nov. 1883.
Caroline, d. in 1804.
Frances Elizabeth, m. 1st, to Henry Hordern. Esq. of Dunstall
Emma, m. to the Rev. Benjamin-Lucas Cubitt, rector of Catfield,
The eldest son,
I. Francis-Littleton Holyoak
(Goodrick), b.13 Nov. 1797, created a baronet 31 March 1835 and was at one time
II. Harry, 2nd Bart. Sir Harry Holyoake Goodricke,
Bart, major 90th light Infantry; Crimean medal and clasp, Turkish medal, and
Indian Mutiny medal, and two clasps born 7th May, 1836; who died in Oct. 1883.
Had issue Francis-Littleton, b. 1838. d. in
III. George-Edward, 3rd, Bart.
Laura, Caroline, & Lila, m. 20 Sept. 1876. to William-Cavendish-Bentnick Ryan, late Col. Bengal Staff Corps, son of the late Rt. Hon. Sir Edward Ryan.
SIR, THOMAS GOODRICKE, 8th Bart born, 24th September 1762; who married, Harriet, daughter of Henry Goodricke. Esq, but died 9th March 1839 with out issue allowing the title to become extinct.
We now have followed the history of the Goodricke family at Ribston from about the year 1533 when it was acquired down to the year 1833, when it passed from their hands- a period of just three hundred years It would appear that such an ending to the Yorkshire senior male line as actually occurred in 1833-39 was not wholly unlooked for, but was rather feared, for on reading between the lines of the Will of Sir John, the 5th Baronet below, made in 1788, it is impossible not to perceive the anxiety which the testator felt as to the future of Ribston, and which we can readily realize the aged Baronet's concern when we remember the position of the family at that time. His hopes were centred on his only grandson, Henry (who succeeded him as the 6th Bart) a young man of twenty one, and probably even then exhibiting signs of that eccentricity of character which was so strongly developed as he grew older, and after him, on his nephew Thomas Francis Henry and what might not happen!
These two young
men were the only male members of the
Sir John took every precaution in his power to ensure the safety of the estates and to keep them together, and what would have been the depth of his disappointment had he been able to look forward to the year 1833 and see every thing derived from his ancestral estate being squandered on horses dogs and sporting interests, all of his most cherished wishes and hopes entirely frustrated, every acre of his land given to a sporting friend, a stranger to the family, and his nephew, certainly wearing his title, but stripped of all its associations and rightful surroundings, an impoverished baronet, lodging with a mean family in a miserable street in London and accepting the despicable pittance of £20 a year from the liberal minded and generous possessor of Ribston F L Holyoake Goodricke.
The senior line of the Ribston or
Time passed, however, and the sale of Ribston to Mr Joseph
Dent was duly completed after some delays, nothing adverse to Holyoake, beyond
criticism, happened. What financial benefit he derived is not known for sure,
as out of the purchase price paid by Mr Dent, Sir Harry’ s debts had been
discharged. The acquisition, apparently, did not ultimately result in great
advantage to the Holyoke’s or establish them in that permanent position of
distinction in the County of York, which had been enjoyed by the Goodricke’s at Ribston for eleven generations for Sir
Thomas Francis, Henry succeeded to the title 1833 but none of the estates. The second but last surviving son of Lt Col Thomas Goodricke and Elizabeth, daughter of James Button of
This family was originally of the county of
HENRY GOODRICKE, Esq. third son of
Robert Goodricke, Esq. of Nortingley,
HENRY GOODRICKE, Esq. (youngest son of William Goodricke, esq. and brother of the Right Rev. Thomas Goodricke, Lord bishop of Ely, and Lord-chancellor of
England, temp. EDWARD VI.) Purchased Ribston and other estates, in the
RICHARD GOODRICKE, Esq. of Ribston,
RICHARD GOODRICKE, Esq. high
SIR JOHN GOODRICKE. Knt.
who m. Jane, daughter of Sir John Saville, of Methley, in the
I. SIR JOHN GOODRICKE, Knt.
of Ribston Hall. This gentleman was a great sufferer during the civil wars,
having been confined first at
II. THE RIGHT HON. SIR HENRY, lieutenant-general of the Ordnance, who d. without issue, In 1704-5, when the title devolved upon his half-brother,
III. SIR JOHN, who m. Sarah, daughter of Sir Richard Hopkins, Knt. M.P serjeant at law, and was s. in 1705, by his eldest son,
IV. SIR HENRY. This gentleman had four sons and four daughters,
JOHN, his heir.
Thomas-Francis, lieutenant colonel in the army, father of a daughter, Harriett, and of a son, Thomas, the last baronet.
Harry, Prebendary of York, m. first, Margaret, daughter of John Taylor, esq. of Beverley, and, secondly, Anne, daughter and heir of Philip Harland, esq. of Sutton Hall, in the county of York, and relict of Charles Hoar, esq. but d. s. p. in 1801.
Elizabeth, d. unmarried, 1761.
Sarah, m. to T. Clough, esq. of Otley.
Jane, m. to the Reverend Francis Wanley, D.D dean of Ripon.
Sir Henry was s. in 1738, by his eldest son,
V. SIR JOHN,
who was sworn of his Majesty’s most honourable Privy Council, and resided at
HENRY, who died v. p. 9th July 1764, leaving issue,
HENRY, successor to his grandfather.
Harriet, m. to her cousin, Sir Thomas Goodricke, Bart.
Mary, m. to Charles Gregory
Fairfax, esq. of
Sir John d. in 1789, and was s. by his grandson,
VI. SIR HENRY, who m. Charlotte, second daughter of the Right Hon. James Fortescue, and sister of Viscount Clermont, by whom he left, at his decease, in 1820 an only son,
VII. SIR HARRY, b. 18th September, 1797; who d. unmarried, 21st August, 1833, and was s. by his cousin,
VIII. SIR, THOMAS, b. 24th September 1762; who m. Harriet, daughter of Henry Goodricke. Esq. but d. s. p. when the title became EXTINCT.
Areas—Argent. on fesse gules. between two lions passant guardant sable. A fleur-de-lis or, between as many crescents of the field.